2.1 ITALIAN CITIZENSHIP
- How to obtain it
- Who cannot obtain italian citizenship
2.1.1 HOW TO OBTAIN IT
Italian citizenship is acquired by right:
- by birth: child of mother or father who are Italian citizens; children -born in Italy- of unknown parents or stateless;
- by adoption: minor age foreigners adopted by Italians gain citizenship;
- by marriage: the foreign spouse of an Italian citizen, who has resided legally for at least 6 months in the Italian territory or, if resident abroad, after three years from date of marriage, becomes an Italian citizen.
Moreover a foreigner - whose mother or father or one of the direct line ancestors of second degree are Italian citizens - acquires Italian citizenship:
- if he serves military service for the State and declares his intention of acquiring Italian citizenship;
- if he/she is engaged in public employment at State's dependency and declares his/her intention of acquiring Italian citizenship;
- if - at the coming of age - he/she has legally resided in Italy for at least two years and declares his/her intention of acquiring Italian citizenship.
A foreigner born in Italy, who has legally resided in Italy for at least two years, without interruptions, till coming of age, becomes an Italian citizen if he/she declares the intention within one year of coming of age.
Citizenship by concession (or naturalisation) can be requested by foreigner if:
- he/she has resided in Italy for at least ten years;
- has always been in order with residence norms;
- has a real and regular residence.
N.B. Italian laws allow a double or multi citizenship, without renouncing original citizenship.
To obtain Italian citizenship, it is necessary to present a request to the Prefettura (Government territorial Office) of the province of residence. Required documentation is very broad and, in general, comprises:
- complete birth certificate;
- family status certificate;
- penal certificate of Country of origin;
- Certificate of Italian Judicial Register and that of pendent offices;
- authenticated copy of passport and residence permit;
- income tax return relative to the last 3 years of residence years in Italy.
- On reception of foreigner's request, the Prefettura sends it to the Ministry of Interior;
- Police Headquarters opens an inquiry on the regularity of judicial condition of foreigner;
- after taking advice from State Council, Ministry of Interior decides on the concession of citizenship;
- the Italian President enacts the concession decree;
- Civil State Officer receives the oath of loyalty to the Italian Republic.
[ top ]
2.1.2 WHO CANNOT OBTAIN ITALIAN CITIZENSHIP
Italian citizenship is not conceded if:
- person has been condemned for offences as of articles I, II and III of Penal Code;
- for reasons concerning security of the Republic.
[ top ]